Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Blog

Okay, let's get the first blog out of the way.

The eyebrow-raising does-she-have-any-potential-worth-subscribing-to? blog. So my great aspiration is only that I get a decent "hmph" (Let's wait until her second blog).

I also now appreciate the thought that goes into choosing a blog name. Having only been part of one name choosing (I can't remember who exactly suggested "musings"), I was dubious about choosing a name for myself.

After deciding on "linguaphile," (I know this is all just SO riveting), I wasn't sure if I was worthy of sucha lofty boast. After all, it has been 2 years since I was on the Spelling Team - yah that's right - and I haven't been purposefully incorporating new 3+ syllable words into my working vocabulary. (Spontaneic was a tricky week.) But at this point in the train of thought, it occured to me that I was not only searching for words in Dictionary.com, but I was typing ambiguous phrases that only Google could handle like "adjectives that begin with the lettler L."
So maybe I am a linguaphile.
Upon arriving at the helpful L list, I lingered fondly on "lackadaisical" - my old favorite word, confident that that url would not be taken. However, "loopy" and "lemony" roll off the tongue quite nicely (Please try it out loud - Please?) I felt that "lapdancer" and "lousy," although comical, probably wouldn't make good hello-here-I-am! titles.

I'm much more interested in making a cutesy title banner like my inspiration boggers. They are the true reason I have climbed on to the wagon. I just want to be able to comment on their posts! This would be my 2 sisters and my sister-in-law-once-removed. (And the boys of course...)

So, World! (however small and inattentive to my blog)
I hope to come up with something witty soon. And I hope you do not grow tiresome of my writing; I promise that my brain and conversation really are this punctuated with hyphenated phrases and parenthetical remarks.

Until next time,
Good night Neverland!

Today's word is: calipash
This one has been my favorite for several years.
cal⋅i⋅pash kal-uh-pash
noun: the part of a turtle next to the upper shield, consisting of a greenish gelatinous substance, considered a delicacy.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Becca has a blog! Woohoo! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parentheticals are the best way to write (provided you have an audience (usually family) that can match the closing and opening brackets (or braces))

    ReplyDelete