Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Vegetable Beef Stew

Hello Everybody!

Lissa asked me for the soup recipe that I made on Friday night, and I'd been wanting to share it to the rest of you anyway. AND it's gluten free, unless I missed something really obvious.

According to the cookbook: "Hearty Hamburger Stew," but I call it "Vegetable Beef Stew" because that's more self explanatory.

1/4 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. onion
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 16 oz. can (diced) tomatoes
2 1/2 c. water
2 small carrots, diced
2 medium potatoes, cubed
1/4 c. green pepper, chopped
1/4 c. uncooked rice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Brown hamburger in a large skillet.
Stir in [everything else].
Simmer, covered, for about 25 min., or until vegetables and rice are tender.


Isn't that great? It's a lot of chopping, but once you dump it all in, you can walk away. It really drives me nuts when recipes have you putting in another ingredient every 5 or 10 minutes. Once, I made this potato soup with chicken where you had to make a white sauce (which is several steps), while cooking the chicken and vegetables (which I put in one pot. How big do they think my stove is anyway?) and then add it all together to cook, then later add the cheese. *Sigh* Too much work. In fact, today I tried a new recipe for potato soup that was a good chop-it-up, dump-it-in-the crockpot, ready-when-you-get-home-from-work recipe. AND it involved 2 cans of potato soup (+ real potatoes), instead of persnickety white sauce.

Well I am utterly blithering. I really am enjoying learning to cook though. I'm actually gaining the confidence to exchange ingredients for what I have, or for stuff I prefer to use up first. The other day I actually just looked at several different recipes and just made something up! It tasted good, but I always forget that I do not like baked chicken & rice in crockpot because the result is rice that is pretty much the consistency of rice pudding. Not okay.
Robert loved it though; he'll eat anything with rice. (Yay MKs!)

Okay, I wanna go find a book to read until Robert finishes the book I want to read next (Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card). Unfortunately, he still has 300+ pages left, and since I just read Ender's Game, nothing else can satisfy me but more Orson Scott Card.


Word of the Day?
What do you call the body of words/thought that one blithers? For example, ("I was blithering") "That paragraph is all blither." Or maybe blather? "Blithness" just sound like business with a serious lisp. hehehhehe.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've loved just about everything you've cooked (except for the egg-free brownies, they were a little on the chewy side).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, I'll have to try the beef stew! The only problem is celery. I always end up throwing away most of it after using the two stalks or whatever. I need to find some more stuff to do with celery. :-) Good to talk to you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I make egg-free brownies I sub one tbs of ground flax seed with 2 tbs of water for each egg that usually goes in the mix. I like these a lot. (But this sub doesn't work for breads or cakes just brownies or pancakes).
    Also for celery as a kid snack you put a little bit of peanut butter, or almond butter or nutella down the middle and then put raisins down the back and you have "Ants on a Log" (This was one of my fave snacks when I was little)

    ReplyDelete